Leadership and Team Coaching
A recent Harvard Business Review Article, Beyond Burned Out, by Jennifer Moss, highlighted just how stressed and burned out we all are across the globe. Some stats:
- 89% of people reported their work-life had worsened
- 85% of people said their well-being had declined
- 62% of people were struggling to manage their workloads and were experiencing burnout
- 55% of people didn’t feel they had been able to balance their home and work-life
- 25% felt unable to maintain a strong connection with family, 39% with colleagues, and 50% with friends.
- Only 21% rated their well-being as “good”, and a mere 2% rated it as “excellent.”
In 2019, the World Health Organization officially classified burnout as “a syndrome conceptualized as resulting from chronic workplace stress that has not been successfully managed.”
So “How are you really doing?” One study found that on average an adult will say “I’m fine” 14 times a week, though only 19% of people really mean it.
Many people are reporting they are just 'meh' - descriptive of what psychologists have identified as 'languishing'. Languishing is a sense of stagnation and emptiness. It feels as if you’re muddling through your days, looking at your life through a foggy windshield. And it might be the dominant emotion of 2021. Languishing dulls your motivation, disrupts your ability to focus, and triples the odds that you’ll cut back on work.
Psychologists think about mental health on a spectrum from depression, languishing and flourishing. Flourishing is the peak of well-being: You have a strong sense of meaning, mastery and mattering to others.
What does it mean to be your best self? Martin Seligman, Ph.D., founder of the Positive Psychology Center at the University of Pennsylvania School of Arts and Sciences, identifies three distinct states of human functioning:
- Flourishing describes people who maintain an “optimal level of functioning,” characterized by goodness, generativity, growth, joy, hope and resilience.
- Languishing describes those who are showing up day to day, watching the clock and collecting their paychecks, but who ultimately feel like something is missing in their lives.
- Dysfunction describes a negative condition characterized by depression, anxiety and loneliness.
INTRODUCING THE PROPEL COACHING™ PROGRAM FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE LEADERSHIP & TEAMS!
PROPEL Coaching™ Initiatives help employees and leaders to master the six PROPEL positive psychology principles proven to boost wellbeing, significantly reduce burnout, turnover, and disengagement. Enhancing wellbeing enables people to bring their best selves to work and enables the collaborative teamwork required to find, implement, and sustain successful solutions.
- Personal Wellbeing: The PROPEL Toolkit© provides the practical application of six evidence-based steps that enable personal balance and high functioning relationships.
- Professional Excellence: PROPEL Coaching™ teaches leaders and staff how to adopt the positive practices that studies show drive high performance.
- High Performance Teamwork: PROPEL teams learn how to motivate employees who are disengaged to achieve substantial performance improvement.
When teams fall below a 3:1 ratio of positives to negatives, it becomes a struggle for people to engage in possibility thinking – making it difficult to find solutions and uphold the positive energy required to sustain high performance.
- Passion will be sustained when everyone shares the same values.
- Relationships will become the greatest source of satisfaction at work.
- Optimism will prevail when having a positive mindset is rewarded.
- Proactively utilizing strengths will empower people to perform at their best.
- Energy replenishment will enable people to persevere when facing challenges.
- Legacy will engage leaders and staff in the effort to make a meaningful difference.
Six-month PROPEL Coaching™ Program includes:
- Identification of desired workplace outcomes and alignment
- 1:1 Leadership/Manager coaching through the PROPEL Toolkit©
- Staff Focus Groups
- Selection of 4-6 highly engaged PROPEL Team members and Coaching through the PROPEL Toolkit©
- Executive, Leader and PROPEL Team Summit Meeting to align values and vision
- Weekly PROPEL team meetings to learn coaching principles to create “tipping points” for engagement of coworkers
- Final wrap-up Summit Meeting with Executive, Leader and PROPEL Team – celebration of successes and sustainability plans